I woke up last night from a sound sleep, the strong smell of smoke started me coughing and that’s really what woke me up. It scared me but I could see fine (at least without my glasses). The smell was like a muck fire, if you’ve ever smelled a muck fire, you won’t soon forget it. It completely filled my room and terrified me enough to jump out of bed. I took a drink first because the coughing was so bad. I then went to the hallway and turned to my sons’ room. He was already awake from the smell and said that he had checked the entire house. I went to the living room but the smell was not there. It seemed to be concentrated in my room and my sons’ room. It dawned on me that we have window a/c units and had them on last night. It must have been pulling in the smell from outside.
I shut the a/c units off but still didn’t trust it enough so I threw open the window, yes in the pitch darkness, to try and smell the air from outside. I was relieved to smell the same thing outside but at that point knew it had to be someone else’s house. Although I’m glad it wasn’t us, I don’t want it to be anyone else either. I know, you might think it would be okay because then we would have an insurance payout…not so fast. The house is old and we’ve been told by various insurance agencies that it has to be updated before they will touch it and I cannot afford those upgrades so we would be without everything if that happened.
It took a while to settle down and finally get back to sleep. With the a/c units turned off, we turned on the floor fans to help circulate the smell out of our rooms and make them breathable again. I think I was awake for another hour while my son said it was 4 am before he got back to sleep.
This morning I watched the news to see if any report of a house fire was on but nothing except for one in the town next to ours. No out of control fires either that would have blown our way with the wind. It was so weird and so strong, how could there not have been sirens either? Is something trying to tell us something? Is something telling us to go ahead and move? It’s been a thought running through my mind lately that we should go ahead and move and find a rental instead until it’s good enough to move. But I have two older cats and it’s hard to find somewhere that lets you have pets, along with a 3 bedroom. I can start looking but it scares me too. In order to move, we would have to sign a lease that would hold us for about a year. What if we find something two months after moving, how does that work? I’m truly confused and don’t know what to do.
I really wish I had someone with experience that could give me advise on what to do.